ISO 50001 is the International Standard for Energy Management Systems, design by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The standard defines the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining, and improving an energy management system, whose motive is to authorize an organization to follow a systematic approach in achieving repeated improvement of energy performance, as well as energy efficiency, energy security, energy use, and consumption.
The Purpose of Energy Management System is Resource conservation Climate protection and cost-saving, while the customer has continuing access to the energy they need. It is connected closely to Environmental management, Production management, Organization, and other established trade functions.
ISO 50001 contains seven key principles of Energy management –
- Recognition and tracking of Energy Pattern
- Controlled energy system’s use
- Accordingly maintained and managed facilities
- Good Maintenance practices
- Preventive and active Maintenance
- The distinction between Maintenance and Energy Management
- Automated Energy Management Systems