It enables users to establish and run a service management system (SMS), the aim of which is to systematically and consistently improve the delivery of services.
Whether used by internal service departments or external service providers, it helps users deliver a quality service that will be valued by stakeholders.
Traditionally the standard was used to manage IT services, but increasingly it’s applied to other service management activities, such as facilities management and business process outsourcing.
Specifically, the standard can be used by:
- Customers seeking services and requiring assurance regarding the quality of those services
- Customers requiring a consistent approach to the service lifecycle by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain
- Organizations wanting to demonstrate their capacity to plan, design, transition, deliver and improve services
- Organizations wanting to monitor, measure and review their SMS and services
- Organizations wanting to improve the planning, design, transition, delivery, and improvement of services through effective implementation and operation of an SMS
- Organizations or other parties performing conformity assessments against the requirements specified in this document
- Providers of training or advice in service management